Tuesday 24 September 2013

31DC2013: Day 22 - Inspired by a song

Hi there guys!! I was stuck for this prompt, so I created a playlist of songs I could possibly do. Then I had too many ideas, in the end it came down to what song I wanted you guys to hear the most. So I chose "Something In The Water" by Brooke Fraser. It's one seriously beautiful song, from the melody, lyrics to the instrumentation, all uplifting and feel good. It's virtually the definition of a beautiful song.

What I painted is a scene from the video, a Russian doll on the sea. It looks kind of paper-y so that's why I made the design matte. I really like this, I don't have much else to say but I feel like you could see something like this in a children's book.


For this design I started with the base, drew the outline and filled in, simple as that really. But lots of colours were involved and a light touch for the little details.

Base: Ciate - Cookies & Cream and Nails Inc - Porchester Square when I needed an opaque polish to cover a mistake (it's slightly darker).
Black: Lovely Me:Ex - Black
Pink: Essie - Your Hut Or Mine? (the perfect pink to match the video)
Light Purple: Barry M - Prickly Pear
Dark Purple: Illamasqua - Jo'Mina
Light Blue: Revlon - Blue Lagoon
Dark Blue: Kiko - 265 (which smudged which I was not impressed with)
Other colours for the sea: Revlon - Dreamer and Models Own - Indian Ocean
Boat: w7 - Brownie, Paris Collection - Mauve Melody and The Face Shop - GL112


Thanks so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed the song and have a great day!!!! :)

8 comments:

  1. It looks amazing -- I love the waves and the girl and the matte-ness (basically everything, haha)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) Haha I feel like I should matte manicures more, the effect is gives is really nice :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh such a fun art style! Love the paper-ish effect! Very nice pairings for the sea! Absolutely love the effect! The song is very inspirational btw! I love the tempo, her voice, and how story-like it feels! What a nice feeling! :D Hahaha, you should recommend me more songs :3 Hahahahaha!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks!! :D I'm glad you like it, lots of thought went in to try and capture the essence of the song. Yay I'm also super glad you like the song, I've actually had a nail art series idea about songs in my head for a while... Maybe you've spurred me on to do it!! :D

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely song and very lovely nail art! I'd never heard it before, but I'm sure to listen to it many more times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :D Oh yay, really glad you like the song, it's such a pretty one!! :)

      Delete