Saturday 21 September 2013

31DC2013: Day 19 - Galaxy

Hi there guys!! If you're reading this now (which I kind of assume you are right now), you're probably wondering why there's chocolate nails as opposed to I don't know, a galaxy? ;) Well I decided to be a smart aleck and inspired this design by the chocolate, Galaxy instead of the galaxy surrounding the earth. Galaxy is the best chocolate, it's by far my favourite chocolate brand, the chocolate is so smooth and creamy. Omnomnomnom.

I tried to replicate the look of the pieces of chocolate in the bar. I got a lot of help from The Daily Nail blog's S'more post, as I wasn't sure how to mimic the look of a chocolate bar. I do like it, I find the nails look more like chocolate from a distance or if you squint :P The other two nails are inspired the Galaxy bar wrapper.

Cookie Crumble is my favourite variation, I find sometimes I don't like chocolate as it's too thick but Cookie Crumble is just so yummy!! This outer shell wrapper is from Monday when my best friend bought some and we ate it before orchestra (and during haha, I'm not dedicated :P).
I was very very hesitant about this design, I kept thinking of backing out and just doing a regular galaxy manicure. But I thought if I didn't try it I won't learn otherwise so I went for it, I'm really glad I did as this is fun (and food)!! 

Another thing making me not want to do this was not owning a chocolate brown. Recently I did some de-stashing and got rid of quite a lot and hopefully they'll be going to more caring homes. I haven't given them away yet so I was looking through the bag and found Paris Collection - Mauve Melody, I thought it was too purple-y but it was the best I had, everything else was too dark or too light. Turns out Mauve Melody was perfect!! The formula was great too, just glided on, the purple turned out to be shimmer only in the bottle. I've decided to keep it for whenever I need a medium brown for nail art, it can stay with me :)
The darkest brown is w7 - Brownie and since my brown polish is not in the medium brown categories for the actual chocolate pieces I had to mix polish to get the right colours. The slightly darker half is a mixture of w7 - Brownie and Paris Collection - Mauve Melody. The lighter half is a mix of Ciate - Cookies and Cream, I would've used Porchester Square but Cookies and Cream is more runny (and sheer) making it easier to mix.
The purple is Rimmel - Purple Pulse as I wanted a purple that matched the wrapper, that was also in the destash pile and it's staying there, I just hate the colour! It's far too plum and plum is a disgusting colour. The only other brown I used was the light shimmery brown for some of the stripes, which was The Face Shop - GL112.

I hope you enjoyed reading this post, thanks for reading and I hope you have a great weekend!! :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this was a great interpretation! Very creative and also fun to see somthing that isn't so literal! :D I wish more people would do like this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!! :D I thought chocolate would be a bit more fun than the universe!! :P

      Delete
  2. Brilliant idea! I ate so much galaxy chocolate when I was in England... Your mani's soooo great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :D I try to eat as much galaxy chocolate as I can when I can!! :P

      Delete
  3. Hahaha, *ahem* fall cleaning the stashes? :P Hmm, well I think it's good to keep a few empty ones (all clean up, of course) just in case you might find them handy in future :) I kept a few, some of which I have put PVA glue in them for easier application on nails and all. Hehe, anyway.. aww delicious chocolate bars! Now I'm curious how these would taste like! We don't have this brand of chocolate in my country. That's so true! Never try, never know right? I totally agree! Making mistakes is the best way to learn. Even getting it right is also learning. :D Hahahah! Love your take on this theme! I'm surprised they didn't have eyes though.. :P But it's all good, something different once in a while! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep thats's what happened, I do have some empty bottles sitting around which I keep thinking I'll use for something but I haven't figured out what yet. Oh my goodness they taste SO good, if you ever have the opportunity give it a try Galaxy is so yummy. Exactly, this manicure is no where near perfect I'm still a fan and it's super different. Thank you!!! Hahahahaha you know me too well, it was tempting but the cute food has to take a rest once in a while (or once, just once, this may be the only time I go without the food's face ;)) :D

      Delete